Saturday, July 17, 2004

The Coalition of the Indifferent

This is my last post on this subject for the night.  I need to get a life and walk down to Adams-Morgan.  Hopefully, I'll buy a drink for Jessica Cutler.  But, wait, my debit card maxes out at $300... I digress.
 
Per Michelle Malkin, here's what the Salon crowd thinks of Ms. Jacobsen:
So, to summarize: a woman and her hubby are scared because they see a group of Arabic men exchanging glances, and making frequent trips to the rest room.  There are air marshals on board.  The plane lands safely.  The men are questioned, everything checks out, and the men are released -- they were merely musicians.  BUT there was a report in the press saying that terrorists can assemble bombs in restrooms during a flight, and NOBODY DID ANYTHING ABOUT KEEPING THOSE ARABS FROM USING THE TOILET!  She talks to federal officials, who tell her confidential stuff about their policies and procedures for handling terrorists, and give her information about the Arabs' upcoming flight plans.  Thus, we should all be really, really scared, and violate the civil liberties of swarthy men, or just go ahead and start the internment camps.  Just in case.

 
As usual, some people are too cool for school.  Obviously, there isn't a whole lot of room between "skeptical" and "naive".
 
Basically, they take a bunch of her passages out of context and explain them away with pithy comments.  It all most makes me long for Wonkette (or at Maureen Dowd, at the very least). 
 
Skepticism is healthy.  If you're looking for some, Donald Sensing has some reasonable doubts.  However, criticizing the emotional tone of the story rings a bit hollow.  I know this sounds misogynist to some, but women are "emotional."  They observe the experience not only with their eyes, but their feelings.  A caller on the Seattle radio show in which she was interviewed said she wrote in the "omniscient person."  No.  Go back to high school.  There is a tangible difference between observing the sum of your environment and imputing emotions/thoughts into your cast of characters. 
 
If you read between the lines, the blase' attitude with which World O' Crap treats this is fraught with their political anxiety.  "No, really.  We're returning to normalcy!  Vote John Kerry!  There's no threat, you racist, simplistic ninny."

6 Comments:

At 2:42 AM, Blogger Rob said...

I imagine if they were skinheads rather than Arabs, the kids over at Salon would have chewed their way through the hull to get off that plane.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Nitpicker said...

Hmm... I wonder why that would sound misogynist to some.

Also, if I were of Arabic descent and people started staring at me and whispering behind their hands, you'd better damn well believe I'd be looking at my buddies to make sure they had my back.

So, using Occam's razor, do we feel that it's more likely that these guys were nervous because they're browner than the passengers who keep ogling them or because they're putting together some sort of device in the bathroom after each one of them carried a small piece of it in their anal orifice?

And then didn't do anything with it.

Where, even, would you keep such a device in an airplane toilet?

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger aimai said...

I always thought "world o'crap" was female, so I don't think the "doesn't get emotion" argument works that well. And as for Salon readers being more worried about skin heads than islamic terrorists, that strikes me as a really funny thing to say since a terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist in my book--each as likely to try to kill me/take down a plane as the other. So, yeah, if I were on a plane with nineteen bald guys with "death to jews" tatooed on their arms I'd be plenty worried. Or nineteen swarthy guys with "death to the US." But if after landing I discovered that the bald guys didn't have "death to jews" tatooed on their arms but were a cancer survivors group traveling to a conference with "death isn't the news" tatooed on their arms I wouldn't write a column about it praising myself for my prescient anxiety and complaining about the fact that they weren't all arrested anyways for making me wet my pants in fear.

World O' Crap makes the same point that lots of people make who are voting democratic this year: the bush people scare monger but don't do anything to make us safer, choosing to sacrifice everyone's civil liberties rather than spending money to ensure everyone's safety. So, yeah, I'm voting for Kerry not because I don't think terrorism is a threat to me but precisely because I think terrorism is more of a threat to me since Bush took over. I'd like someone in power who was actually willing to do some hard thinking about terrorism and our future, not just (in Tom Friedman's memorable phrase) "kick over the chessboard in the middle east" and hope to god the pieces fall back on the board so we've won the game.

aimai

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger aimai said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger aimai said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger aimai said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home